May 27, 2010

Yeah I'm Bitching Again

This was posted on Johns Face book  On Monday , May 24th....


John Milandred    Well soon our guest will be off to Arkansas and we will need some help here on the homestead. Anyone interested?
John Milandred
Ok the rules: No drunks and you must be fit! lol


Also willing to work more then 4 hours a day. Must be able to have place to stay (Trailer and or Camper) and pay for your own power. We take care of (Water, Internet, septic, land) also meat, and lot's of veg's and fruit when in season. LOL
Monday at 9:05pm5




This post has bothered me on several levels all week long.  So as to keep the peace I have not said one word about it.  As a matter of fact I haven't spoken with him since the posting. Let me just break it down for ya.
"Well soon our guest...."  That's been an irritation to me from the first time I heard him call us that on his show one time like we are under some sort of apprenticeship program or something.  When we came up here it was to lend a hand for the summer.  As for being a "guest"  If I had guests staying on my land I would most certainly treat them as such.  I find it a little weird that in the 3 months we have been here-we have not been invited ONCE for a cookout or even a get together in the evenings.  Maybe it's just the way I was raised but we don't treat guests like that where we come from.


"No Drunks and you must be fit!"  I find that offensive as well as John drinks on a daily basis.  I wouldn't call him a drunk . Mars and I drink some but neither of us are drunks either. As to the "you must be fit" comment I am sure that was directed towards me.  I have issues with my back and legs that prevent me from doing some things.  I can get them done, I just have to take it at my own pace.


"Also willing to work more than 4 hours a day..."
  Ummm, excuse me? I'm thinking that 5-6 hours a day most days is what Mars does around here at least 6 days a week most of the time. I spent an hour and a half a day dealing with the rabbits.  Since they don't buy rabbit food I have to go pick grass and such twice a day.  That is 4 five gallon buckets a day.   7 days a week.  I haven't had to water the gardens the last couple of weeks due to the weather.  I'm back at it again today.  That takes at least 3 1/2hours  a day when watering is needed.  Now lets just stop and break down the hours vs payment for those hours.  Lets let him have his "4 hours" a day for all the work Mars has done for him.  AND lets just say he was working at minimum wage.  That would be 4 hours a day x six days a week at $7.25 an hour. That is $174.00 a week x 4 weeks a month.  That ends up being $696.00 a month.
$696.00 a month and that does not include anything that I do around here.
$326.25 a month for time spent with the rabbits alone - this does NOT include anything else I do around here.  Now for this we get water, internet, and a place to park the trailer.  All for only $1022.00 worth of work a month.  Not a bad deal huh??
Onto the next part shall we?  
"We take care of (Water, Internet, septic, land) also meat, and lot's of veg's and fruit when in season. LOL"
Let's be completely honest here.  He has a well, The internet is shared by wi-fi.  The router by the way is Ours as his burned out and he didn't have another one.  The septic was dug and installed by Mars. His land is paid for.  So actually it costs him nothing for the labor he receives.


"Also meat, and lot's of veg's and fruit when  in season."  I found it interesting that when the neighbor gave John the beef it was understood that we would be able to have some as Mars had helped with them as well.  There was probably 50 pounds of beef that John had no room for so it was stored in our deep freeze (along with about 50 pounds of freezer burned pork John's as well )  Out of all that beef ars and I had a steak dinner, 3 lbs of hamburger, and 2 roasts. We have a few packages of venison that Mars help butcher and about 4 packages of hog that were given to us which he also helped butcher. As for vegetables we haven't seen any yet.  I am hoping they will be kind enough to share some of the turnips and melons and yellow squash that we provided the seeds for. I suppose we will see about that one.


If it weren't for John's meat we would not be needing to run the deep freezer at all.But we sure are being charged electricity here.
Ok, onto the issues I have about the electricity."And pay for your own power"  In the 3 months we have been here we have been asked to pay a total of $140.00.  I know that doesn't sound like much but hang on... lol.  That works out to $46.00 a month.  Want to know what we run on electric here?  The refrigerator, the deep freeze (that we don't need to run) one fan, one computer, and DC lights about 4 hours a night. No way this comes out to that much electric. Quite impossible actually.
Some might say I'm making more out of all this than I should.  Possibly.  I just don't see the fairness of it all though.  I feel like we are being taken advantage of and the bitch of it all is...we can't move just yet.  Soon I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment